July 14, 2018 in Mozart Park • 2036 N. Avers Ave, Chicago, Illinois 60647 [map]
FIGMENT Chicago is seeking interested artists to submit your project for the 2018 year. FIGMENT Chicago 2018 will be a one-day participatory arts event held at Mozart Park showcasing art that encourages participants to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment. The event accepts submissions from artists of all ages and experience.
Art project submissions have begun! Please fill out this form to let us know what you'd like to bring.
9 Things Artists Should Know about FIGMENT
FIGMENT is not your typical art event. Here are 9 key things to keep in mind before submitting. Most of them are discussed in detail below or in the Artists Tips and Tricks Guide.
- Everyone is welcome. Artists and participants of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT.
- All art is participatory. All of the art at FIGMENT is participatory. We look for art that encourages people to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment. See below for our curatorial considerations.
- No sales, logos, or advertising. The art at FIGMENT is a gift from the artist to the FIGMENT community. Nothing is for sale at FIGMENT. At FIGMENT, interactions between people are not mediated by commercial transactions of any kind. There is no advertising, nothing is for sale, and no one asks for donations (other than at the registration table for the event itself).
- We’re outdoors in a public park. FIGMENT takes place outdoors in a public area, so your project should be designed to withstand the weather and the public.
- We leave no trace. Your project can not leave any trace or mark on the Island, and artists must be prepared to completely remove and clean up after their project. See our LNT Guide for more information.
- We’re all volunteer. FIGMENT NYC is an all-volunteer organization. Our staff gives their time as a gift to artists and participants. Additionally, artists need to supply all of the labor they need to install, supervise, and deinstall their project.
- FIGMENT Chicago is a completely free event. There is no charge for artists or participants to be a part of the event.
- We have no artists grants. The event does not have a budget for project grants.
- We're in other cities, too! There are FIGMENT Weekend events happening around the globe, and we encourage artists to bring their projects to multiple cities! Find out where else FIGMENT is happening.
CURATORIAL CONSIDERATIONS: HOW WE EVALUATE PROJECT SUBMISSIONS
The FIGMENT Weekend Curatorial Team is primarily concerned with the suitability of your project for FIGMENT and Mozart Park, as opposed to artist experience, education or previous exhibitions of the piece. Artists of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT as long as the project is interactive, upholds our principles, and does not violate Chicago Parks rules. Here are some questions you should ask yourself when preparing a project for FIGMENT.
Is it interactive?
Interactive or Participatory art blurs the lines between the artist, the art, and people engaging with the art. We look for art that encourages people to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment. Theatre, dance, music, performance art, games, creative costuming, workshops and activities are all common genres found at FIGMENT. Three dimensional sculptural installations are also common at FIGMENT, as the participant’s experience of the piece alters as he or she moves around it.
We generally do not accept “wall art” such as finished paintings or photography and do not have space to display such works. Artists working in those genres are encouraged to find a way to engage FIGMENT participants in creating such works, displaying such works inside a larger sculptural installation, collaborating with a performance art event, or creating some other participatory experience that involves such works.
Does it uphold the FIGMENT Principles?
In addition to being interactive, art at FIGMENT must be consistent with our 11 principles. FIGMENT has 11 principles that shape our event, giving our events a unique flavor and experience found in few places elsewhere in the world. They also guide the curators in selecting art appropriate for the event. Upholding the principles presents challenges to FIGMENT artists, staff, and volunteers that many other art events do not have to address.
Does it pose a threat to LNT?
We take our principle of Leave No Trace seriously. Your project can not leave any trace or mark on the Island, and artists must be prepared to clean up after their project. For more details on what this means and how to comply, see our Artists Tips and Tricks Guide.
Artist history & experience
As we stated earlier, artists of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT. We consider artist history and experience largely for placement and PR purposes only.